What are my rights as the owner of a registered design?
As the owner of a registered design, your rights are:
- to obtain a court order to stop a competitor unlawfully using (infringing) your registered design (this kind of order is called an injunction)
- to grant a licence to another person (e.g. in other parts of Australia, in other industries, or in other countries) to commercially exploit your registered design, in return for licence fees, royalties, or other payments
- to sell your registered design
- to give your registered design in your will
- to mark your product, and its packaging, as being the subject of a registered design (someone who does so without having a registered design commits an offence).
- Last reviewed: 26 Sep 2020
- Last updated: 13 Jun 2016