The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Prepare for an emergency
In the event of a crisis, you may not receive advance warning to evacuate. You may even be ordered to evacuate by local authorities (e.g. the police). Being prepared with an evacuation procedure and team in place avoids confusion and possible injury during an emergency situation.
As well as an evacuation procedure you should include an emergency kit in your incident response plan and develop an incident response checklist so that you and your staff know what to do in an emergency.
Preparing an emergency kit
Having an emergency kit available can help keep your business running in a different location. Keep your emergency kit where you can quickly and easily retrieve it. Ideally, you should store your kit safely and securely off-site in case your premises are destroyed or unreachable in a crisis.
Record in your incident response plan the contents of your emergency kit and make sure you keep it up to date.
Learn more about preparing an emergency kit.
To help you prepare for an emergency, review the following disaster checklists:
You can also find information on pandemic risk management.
Prepare evacuation procedures
Making sure you have evacuation procedures will ensure you are prepared in advance should a crisis occur. Consider in advance who will take control in an emergency and make sure that staff understand the evacuation procedures and their responsibilities.
Read more about evacuating your business.
- Learn more about how to prepare your business for a natural disaster.
- Read more about keeping your workplace safe.
- Keep a list of emergency alerts and contacts on hand.
- Check your business insurance to make sure you will be covered in the event of a crisis.
- You may be eligible for Queensland natural disaster assistance.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020