Help with insurance after a natural disaster
Find out what financial assistance and support is available if you have been affected by a natural disaster.
After a natural disaster you should contact your insurer before you begin cleaning up and removing goods. Even if you do not know the full extent of the damage, your insurance company can tell you what they will need to know to support your insurance claim.
You may be asked to record or photograph damage to your premises, fixtures, vehicles, stock, customer records and equipment. Or you may be told to wait for an insurance assessor to inspect your property before you begin cleaning. Always follow the advice of the insurer, as you may not be covered for unauthorised repairs.
Many policies require you to take reasonable steps to minimise the loss — for example, by placing a tarp over a broken roof, or moving undamaged items to a safe and secure place.
Do not be concerned if your insurance documents have been lost or damaged during a natural disaster. Insurance companies keep electronic records so all you need to do is confirm personal details, like your name and address.
If you are not covered for the natural disaster, find out if you can make a claim under your business interruption or income protection insurance.
Learn more about business insurance.
Insurance Council of Australia (ICA)
If you have questions about your insurance policy or need to find out who your insurer is, you can phone the ICA's disaster hotline on 1800 734 621 or visit ICA.
Legal Aid Queensland
Legal Aid Queensland can give you information and advice on getting an insurance claim paid after a natural disaster. Phone Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 651 188 to find out your options and read need help getting an insurance claim paid? (PDF, 1.6MB)
Australian Financial Complaints Authority
If you are having a dispute with your insurance company you can phone the Australian Financial Complaints Authority on 1800 931 678 for help. They offer a free service that aims to resolve disputes between consumers and participating insurance companies.
Learn more about resolving disputes.
- Learn how to protect yourself from scams, fake tradespeople and repair workers that may target your business during a natural disaster.
- Learn about rebuilding your business after a natural disaster.
- Read about what to do after a natural disaster on ASIC's MoneySmart website.
- Find out how to negotiate successfully.
- Contact Lifeline for confidential emotional and crisis support on 13 11 14. You can speak to a trained and dedicated volunteer 24 hours a day.
- Contact Beyond Blue for support in dealing with depression and anxiety.