Business dispute resolution services
Use our dispute resolution referral tool to understand which service you should contact to help you with your dispute.
You may not always be able to resolve a dispute directly with the other party. In some cases you may need to make a formal complaint. A number of state, federal and legal ombudsman services provide avenues for lodging complaints and progressing disputes.
Most ombudsman services provide support for lodging complaints, offering easy-to-follow online and help desk service steps.
The complaints office or avenue you choose will depend on the nature of the complaint.
Disputes between businesses
Disputes between supplier or competition businesses – such as misleading or deceptive conduct – are handled by the Office of Fair Trading.
Disputes with suppliers
Disputes over the supply of goods and services are handled by the:
- Office of Fair Trading – consumer protection and awareness services as well as services to regulate business conduct
- Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) – consumer and trader disputes over contracts for the supply of goods and services such as:
- repairing a defect in a motor vehicle
- a claim by a consumer against a trader
- a claim between suppliers and traders.
For disagreements with services providers, ask whether they have complaints handling policies and procedures in place to manage customer disputes.
Disputes that do not involve trading activities – such as with commercial or retail landlords, government departments, statutory authorities, regulatory regimes and financial institutions – are handled by various government agencies.
Some government agencies and industry organisations provide alternative dispute resolution services aimed at specific business sectors.
Building and construction
Energy and water disputes
Finance, insurance and investment disputes
- Queensland Small Business Commissioner
- Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman
- Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Find out more about leasing disputes
Public agency disputes
Retail and wholesale disputes
Small business (general disputes)
- View the list of Queensland Government's consumer complaint dispute organisations that may help resolve your issue.
- Learn more about the Australian industry ombudsmen and dispute resolution.