Responding to a suspected case of foot-and-mouth disease
If you suspect an animal has foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), follow these steps:
- Immediately report the suspected case to Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 or to the Emergency Animal Disease Watch Hotline on 1800 675 888. FMD is prohibited matter under Queensland legislation.
- Collect as much relevant history and clinical and epidemiological information as possible. Using this information, Biosecurity Queensland will be able to undertake likelihood and risk assessments that will help to inform advice regarding next steps.
- Apply enhanced biosecurity measures. This may include working with livestock owners to implement the following:
- Immediately isolate the affected animals and keep them away from the edge of the property. Prevent people who have been in contact with the suspected stock from contacting other at-risk animals. Do not allow animals such as dogs, cats and poultry to have contact with stock, as they may act as fomite vectors and spread the disease.
- Prevent animals being moved to or from the property. Suspect stock should not be moved near to, or across, a public road.
- Prevent movement from the property of vehicles, clothing, animal feed, waste material or anything that has been in contact with the suspect stock.
- Prevent visitors or vehicles entering the property. If possible, put a 'NO ENTRY' sign on farm gates and other access points.
- Prevent people on the property from leaving. Anyone who must leave for emergency reasons must shower first, leaving all farm clothes on the property and taking special care to ensure footwear is particularly clean, with no dirt or faeces left on the soles or on any remaining clothing.
- Appropriate sampling and testing will be required to confirm or rule out FMD. Biosecurity Queensland officers will provide relevant advice.
Biosecurity Queensland officers will provide further information and support in relation to managing the property while laboratory testing is in progress. If FMD is confirmed, a range of biosecurity measures will be applied to contain and eradicate the disease on the property.
- Do free online FMD training for veterinarians and veterinary paraprofessionals.