Foot-and-mouth disease online training for vets
Biosecurity Queensland has developed 2 online training courses to increase Queensland's preparedness for foot-and-mouth disease (FMD):
- FMD training for veterinarians and veterinary paraprofessionals (see information below)
- FMD awareness training for the livestock industry and wider community.
FMD training for veterinarians and veterinary paraprofessionals
If you are a veterinarian or veterinary paraprofessional, this training package will help you further your understanding of FMD and notification requirements. It covers:
- susceptible species and transmission mechanisms
- how to properly complete an FMD investigation
- the FMD case definition and differential diagnoses in Queensland
- notification requirements, especially under the new Biosecurity Act 2014
- interim measures to take if you suspect FMD on a premises
- sample collection and management, including packaging
- on-farm biosecurity measures, including personal decontamination
- role of animal health professionals in an FMD incident.
- takes about 3–4 hours to complete
- is presented in modules and can be completed on a module-by-module basis
- allows you to log in and out without losing your progress
- is recognised by the Australian Veterinary Association and you will earn 3 Vet Ed points on completion.
You can download a certificate of completion after completing all the modules.
Accessing the online course
The FMD awareness training course works best when opened using Google Chrome (preferred option) or Mozilla Firefox. Some functionality is lost if Internet Explorer is used.
The course is hosted on the Animal Health Australia (AHA) Biosecurity Online Training (BOLT) portal.
To register as a learner (you only need to do this once), complete the following steps:
- Access the AHA Learning System.
- Click on the ‘Register’ link in the log-in panel, and fill in your details.
- Click on the ‘Sign Up’ link at the bottom.
- An email will be sent to you with a link. Click on the link in the email—this will take you to a page where you can enter your own password.
- You'll be taken to the Learning homepage.
- Click on your name to edit your details and attach a profile photo if you like.
- You have now registered in the AHA Learning System.
Once you have registered, you can enrol in a range of courses, including FMD training for Queensland veterinarians and veterinary paraprofessionals:
- Log in to the AHA Learning System.
- Click on ‘Browse Learning’.
- Scroll down to find the FMD course titled FMD training for Queensland veterinarians and veterinary paraprofessional, and click on it.
- This will open the front page of the course.
- Click on the ‘Enrol’ button at the top right of the page.
- Once enrolled, click on the ‘Launch’ button for Module 1.
- This will open the course. Click ‘Start’ to start the course.
- Completing Module 1 will unlock the remaining modules, which you can then complete in any order you like.
If you experience issues accessing the course, please contact the Customer Service Centre.
- Access the downloadable resources, videos and websites from the eLearning course.
- Access FMD awareness training for the livestock industry and wider community.
- Find out more about feeding swill to pigs.
- Read more information for livestock owners.
- Visit our playlist of community education FMD videos.