Eligibility for national registration for community housing

To be eligible to register as a community housing provider under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH), you need to meet the following requirements.

Intention to provide community housing

The Queensland Registrar needs to be satisfied that you are providing, or intend to provide, a community housing service.

This means more than bare intent or speculation. The Registrar needs some expression of intent with a proposal for a future action or a present proposal.

For example, you must either:

  • be actively pursuing community housing tender opportunities
  • have already secured committed funding.

Appropriate structure

Housing providers must have an appropriate corporate structure. The type of corporate structure may affect which tier you're eligible to be registered under.

For example, a Tier 3 provider must be a legal body corporate, such as:

  • a cooperative or incorporated association under state/territory legislation
  • a corporation incorporated under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006
  • other bodies corporate.

Tier 1 housing providers must be incorporated as a company limited by shares or by guarantee under the Corporations Act 2001.

Arrangements for assets

Housing providers must have mandatory arrangements in place to ensure that, if wind-up and/or deregistration occur, any surplus assets remaining after the payment of liabilities continue to be available for social housing.

Read more about winding-up clauses for community housing providers.

Capacity for ongoing compliance

Housing providers must have a demonstrated capacity to meet and achieve ongoing compliance with the National Regulatory Code.

Find more resources and information about NRSCH registration.