Level 1 mine emergency exercise reports
All Queensland underground coal mines must run annual simulations to test their readiness for emergencies. In addition to their own exercises, each year one mine hosts the state's level 1 emergency exercise.
These exercises have been held annually since 1998 and are monitored by assessors from the Queensland, New South Wales and international coal mining community.
This systematic exercise of emergency procedures in mines provides valuable experience to industry and workers and is a vital tool in improving mine safety systems. The exercises are the result of a recommendation made by the Queensland Mining Warden's inquiry into the explosion at the Moura No. 2 Mine in August 1994.
Changes to 2022 exercise
To better test emergency response systems and enhance learning opportunities for industry, the Level 1 Exercise Executive Management Committee has split the 2022 exercise into 2 separate events, each with a different focus.
This event will take place between 14 November – 11 December 2022, and will test the mine's:
- site emergency response system
- application of risk management processes
- capability of external services to administer assistance.
This event will take place before the end of 2022, and will test the QMRS emergency response and mutual assistance systems for an underground emergency scenario.
2021 emergency exercise – Oaky North coal mine
The 2021 level 1 mine emergency exercise was held at Oaky North coal mine in the Bowen Basin, between 1.00am and 2.30pm on Tuesday 26 October 2021.
The scenario involved an underground fire following the collision of 2 loaders that left 2 workers injured and requiring assisted evacuation. Exercise participants had to demonstrate a range of first aid, fire-fighting, communication, and evacuation skills.
The report details the timeline of the event, assessors notes, what worked well, and provides detailed recommendations for all participants.
Reports from previous exercises
- 2020 level 1 mine emergency exercise report
- 2019 level 1 mine emergency exercise report
- 2018 level 1 mine emergency exercise report
Level 1 reports dating back to the first exercise held in 1998 at Southern Colliery can be downloaded from the publications portal.
- View the 2015 level 1 emergency exercise video.
- Read the Recognised Standard 08 - conduct of mine emergency exercises (PDF, 644KB) for guidance on how to conduct mine emergency exercises.
- View all past reports of level 1 mine emergency exercises.
- Last reviewed: 24 Aug 2022
- Last updated: 30 Sep 2022