Applying for arbitration of a dispute

To provide certainty for all resource authority holders on overlapping arrangements, an alternative dispute resolution process is available for certain matters.

The matters that can be submitted to arbitration are disputes about:

  • exceptional circumstances
  • the size or location of an initial mining area (IMA), rolling mining area (RMA) or simultaneous operation zone (SOZ) as set out in a joint development plan
  • compensation, reconciliation payments or replacement gas
  • joint interaction management plans.

How to apply for arbitration of a dispute

The resource authority holders can apply singly or jointly by asking a prescribed arbitration institute to nominate an arbitrator under s. 177 of the Mineral and Energy Resources (Common Provisions) Act 2014.

Prescribed arbitration institutes are the Queensland Law Society and the Resolution Institute.