Mining and resources maps and spatial data
The Geological Survey of Queensland (GSQ) produces a wide range of geological and tenure maps. This guide describes the types of products available and how to access them.
Check the GeoServe newsletter for information on new map releases.
Interactive geoscience and tenure maps
You can access Geoscience and tenure information through 2 online mapping applications.
GeoResGlobe is an application that will let you view, query, analyse, download and print spatial information about the mining and resources industry.
Queensland Globe is an interactive tool that will let you view a range of mines information.
QSpatial lets you access geoscience spatial data to use with your GIS software:
- On the QSpatial search page, click Choose categories, then select Geoscientific Information.
- Enter a keyword in the search term field to narrow your search.
Refer to our QSpatial Quicklinks (PDF, 247KB) to assist with your mines-related searches. This includes:
- Data type: categories to assist in searching—includes Administrative (Lands), Administrative (Mines), Constraint, Geology, Geophysical, Infrastructure, Permit, Resource, Topographic, Water.
- QSpatial title: the search term for the dataset in QSpatial.
- Metadata abstract: the description of the dataset.
- Download/metadata hyperlink: the hyperlink that opens the download page for the relevant dataset in QSpatial.
Our automated download service lets you develop scripts that, at preset times, will automatically download mines permit and geoscientific spatial data updates from our FTP site.
To access this service, email email@example.com and include:
- your name
- company name
- datasets that you would like to access
- brief outline of the intended business use.
Once your access request has been approved, we'll send you the server details, a username and password.
The Queensland Mining and Exploration Map Collection can be accessed from the GSQ Open Data Portal. It contains the following categories:
- industrial rock
- mineral occurrence
The collection is currently being populated, beginning with the geoscience collection. Over time the collection should grow to include more than 10,000 current and historical map products.
- You will need the latest version of Acrobat Reader to open the PDFs for the 2018 Compilation plots.
- For optimal printing results please use the latest postscript driver for your printer.
- Read our geoscience digital data guide for details of available datasets.
Geological maps of Queensland which show different scales of vector and hard copy map coverage are available:
- geological compilation map index (PDF 1.37MB), which shows 1:250,000; 1:100,000 and 1:50,000; Surface, Basement and Mineral Occurrence (MINOCC) maps
- published geological map index (PDF 1.28MB), which shows 1:250,000 and 1:100,000 maps
- regional geological map index (PDF 1.21MB), which shows 1:500,000, 1:1 million and 1:2 million maps.
Download maps (in PDF or image formats) free of charge from the GSQ Open Data Portal.
Digital copies are available from the Map Collection in the GSQ Open Data Portal.
- Last reviewed: 16 Jun 2020
- Last updated: 24 Feb 2021