Environmental authorities for mining projects

When applying for any resource permit, you need to apply for an environmental authority to be covered for the particular activities you will be carrying out.

Depending on your resource project's level of environmental risk, you will need to apply for a standard application for an EA, a variation application, or a site specific application.

The Department of Environment, Science and Innovation grants environmental authorities for mining and exploration under the Environmental Protection Act 1994.

Contact the department to discuss your project before lodging your permit application. Make sure you clarify any information required to assess your application.

'Coordinated project' declaration

Proponents of eligible major projects may apply to the Coordinator-General to have a project declared a 'coordinated project' under the State Development and Public Works Organisation Act 1971 (SDPWO Act).

Coordinated projects undergo a rigorous and comprehensive environmental impact assessment, involving whole-of-government coordination. The declaration does not exempt the project proponent from the need to obtain necessary development approvals or comply with relevant planning and environment laws and planning instruments.

Also consider...