The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Unmasking cancer cells to the immune system
Researchers at QIMR Berghofer have identified a series of lead molecules which block the epigenetic target G9a. G9a inhibition unmasks cancer cells to the immune system, shutting off therapy resistance and driving cell death pathways.
Unique selling point/competitive advantage
QIMR Berghofer has:
- a highly efficacious G9a inhibitor molecule, which acts as a single agent and offers significant re/re-sensitisation to chemotherapies and targeted therapies
- world-leading biology expertise, which has led to new insights into the mechanism of action and development paths for the lead molecule
- a lead series that is already orally bioavailable and has an in vivo half-life close to the desired target, with core chemistry which is amendable to further optimisation. This overcomes the major hurdle for previous G9a inhibitors where the chemistry characteristics rendered them undevelopable.
QIMR Berghofer's researchers believe they have the potential to be first-in-class for a G9a inhibitor in cancer therapy.
Investment or collaboration opportunities
QIMR Berghofer is seeking:
- funding for pre-clinical development through Investigational New Drug (IND) enabling studies
- lead optimisation chemistry performed by their chemistry contract research organisation (CRO) partner
- a mechanism of action and biology performed through QIMR Berghofer
- a partner with expertise in epigenetic modifiers, possibly with other 'synergistic' compounds for combination studies.
Intellectual property rights
QIMR Berghofer has a patent application under Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) covering biomarkers for early diagnosis, monitoring, prognosis and determination of severity of a G9a-associated disease.
Patent applications for composition of matter for the compounds have not been filed, in order to maximise the patent life.
Dr Robert McLachlan
Head of Business Development
Phone: +61 407 371 096
Visit QIMR Berghofer for more information.
- Last reviewed: 17 Jul 2019
- Last updated: 29 May 2018