Investing in Queensland's defence industry
Queensland is a premier defence industry destination for the Asia-Pacific region. There are many opportunities for defence-related businesses to set up in Queensland, and there is strong Queensland Government support for the industry.
Queensland is recognised as the:
- centre for Australian defence aviation and aerospace capability
- centre for Australian rotary wing (helicopter) capability
- developing hub for research and development (R&D) of defence-related technologies including unmanned aircraft systems
- developing hub for heavy vehicles to support defence requirements through the Queensland Heavy Vehicle Network
- prime location for Australian Defence Force (ADF) training and testing of new technologies.
Queensland is the second largest ADF employer in Australia with 27% of ADF personnel residing in the state. Queensland is home to:
- 2 of Australia's 3 Army Beersheba Brigades
- the Army Aviation Centre, Oakey
- Australia's largest Army base, Lavarack Barracks, Townsville
- the ADF's largest base, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Amberley
- HMAS Cairns
- the ADF's premier training facility at Shoalwater Bay in Central Queensland.
Watch the video on Queensland: Australia's front line for defence industries.
This guide explains the benefits of investing in Queensland's defence industry.