Food pilot plant
The food pilot plant is a scaled-down factory built to simulate food and beverage manufacturing practice. It allows manufacturing businesses to experiment and produce trial product under industrial conditions (up to 1,000 litre batches).
The factory bridges the gap between product formulation and full commercial manufacturing. It is designed to suit a variety of needs and includes a range of portable manufacturing equipment.
Benefits of using the food pilot plant
The planning and trial of operations in the pilot plant gives your business greater confidence in the scale-up of food and beverage manufacturing processes. This reduces the need for expensive changes and retrofits in your own factory.
The factory space includes:
- 5 independent temperature controlled rooms
- dedicated industrial sized cold and freezer rooms for seafood, meat and horticulture
- high hygiene cool room for fresh product handling
- warm room for thermal operation or fermentation
- dry goods storage
- food grade certification
- controlled loading dock areas.
Food pilot plant equipment
Staff at the food pilot plant have the industry contacts to source and install equipment to suit many requirements. There are over 80 pieces of manufacturing equipment on site, including:
- pasteuriser/UHT (liquid processing)
- bandsaws, mincers, blender/ mixers
- vacuum packers
- vibrating sieve
- individual quick freezing (IQF)
- blast freezer
- membrane filtration unit
- colloid mill
- cabinet dryer
- vacuum tumbler.
Queensland BrewLab services
As part of the food pilot plant, you can access Queensland BrewLab's state-of-the-art beer brewing equipment to develop and test new recipes.
BrewLab food scientists can provide quality assurance testing including data on alcohol content, colour and acidity levels.
Read more about Queensland BrewLab's services.
Location and contact information
The food pilot plant is located at the:
Health and Food Sciences Precinct
39 Kessels Road
Coopers Plains QLD 4108
For more information about the food pilot plant, phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
- Read our guide for more information about Queensland's food and beverage industry.