Trawl fishery licensing and management areas

From 1 September 2021, there are new rules and reporting requirements for Queensland commercial fisheries.

Find fact sheets on the new rules and reporting requirements.

Southern inshore trawl region closed

The effort cap for the southern inshore trawl region has been reached. This region is now closed to fishing from midday, 3 September 2022 – it will reopen on 1 November 2022. Fishers can continue to steam through the region at a speed of 5 knots or greater.

Queensland's commercial trawl fisheries are bound by licensing arrangements. You should also be aware of the trawl fishery management areas.


The following licensing arrangements apply to Queensland's commercial trawl fisheries:

No new licences or symbols are issued for existing fisheries. To enter a trawl fishery, you must first obtain the correct licence (CFBL), fishery symbols and effort units from an existing licence holder. Licences can be transferred from person to person, and fishery symbols can be transferred from one licence to another licence.

Management areas

Queensland's trawl fisheries operate in all tidal waters out to the Queensland east coast offshore constitutional settlement boundary between Cape York and the New South Wales border, with the following exceptions:

Trawling in the Gulf of Carpentaria is jointly managed by the state and federal governments.

Also consider...


General enquiries 13 25 23