Overview of commercial trawl fisheries
Trawl fisheries are Queensland's largest commercial fisheries.
There are 2 basic types of trawling: otter trawling and beam trawling. The otter trawl fishery, which operates in more open waters, is by far the larger, accounting for about 95% of the total harvest taken each year. Beam trawlers are used in estuaries.
Queensland has 4 main trawl fisheries:
- the east coast otter trawl fishery
- the Moreton Bay otter trawl fishery
- the river and inshore beam trawl fishery
- the fin fish (stout whiting) trawl fishery.
This guide gives an overview of Queensland's commercial trawl fisheries, including management areas, target species, gear used, licensing and regulations.
- Last reviewed: 24 Dec 2021
- Last updated: 15 Dec 2022