Environmental legislation and regulation for piggeries

If you are operating a piggery in Queensland, you must comply with a range of Australian and Queensland laws and regulations.

Australian legal requirements for piggeries

The National Environmental Guidelines for Piggeries encourages operators of Australian piggeries to be environmentally sustainable and to operate with minimum environmental impact.

The guidelines were designed to complement, rather than replace, Queensland laws. Topics include:

  • buffer distances
  • ways to minimise, compost or re-use by-products
  • effluent collection systems
  • environmental risk assessment
  • performance assessment and monitoring
  • environmental management plans
  • emissions reporting and regulations
  • options to improve positive environmental outcomes.

Queensland-specific legal requirements for piggeries

All pig farming methods used in Queensland are environmentally relevant activities (ERAs) under the Environmental Protection Regulation 2019 and require a:

  • development permit for the property
  • environmental authority for the operator.

These approvals contain environmental management conditions.

Legal requirements when establishing a piggery

Applying for a development permit for a piggery

To keep 400 or more standard pig units, you need a development permit issued under the Planning Act 2016 and an environmental authority (EA) issued under the Environmental Protection Act 1994. This applies to new and expanding piggeries.

Contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) via the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23 to apply for a permit and EA. Alternatively you can find further information on how to apply for and manage your EA online.

Property registration for piggeries

If you keep 1 or more pigs, you must register your property with Biosecurity Queensland. Registering your property helps you to prevent, respond to and recover from livestock-related pests and diseases that threaten the environment and other animals. Contact the Customer Service Centre to register your property and to check if there are any other environmental management laws that apply to your piggery.

Local or site-specific requirements for piggeries

Before purchasing land for a piggery, check with the local council for any environmental management requirements such as separation distances from houses.

Talk to Intensive Livestock Environmental Regulation Unit (ILERU) officers about site-specific requirements. Your piggery must also comply with requirements under the:

Applying for and managing your environmental authority (EA)

Visit the environmental licences and permits forms and fees finder to apply for a new EA or manage existing EAs. The diagnostic tool will identify any forms, fees and supporting information you need for your application.