Legal requirements for hormonal growth promotant users

Producers who buy and use hormonal growth promotants (HGPs) in their cattle must meet certain legal obligations.

If you want to use HGPs you will need to:

  • complete a purchaser declaration for HGPs at point of sale and retain the duplicate copy
  • ensure the HGPs are only used on the property listed in the declaration
  • use only HGPs registered by the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority
  • administer the HGPs (or HGP implant) strictly in accordance with label directions
  • ensure implants are placed in the ear
  • keep records of all animals treated (including HGP product and batch numbers used), date of treatment, number of HGP doses used, HGPs that have been lost or destroyed and details of the disposal of HGP-treated cattle (e.g. waybills)
  • retain these records for at least 2 years after the HGP treatment day
  • be able to distinguish between HGP-treated cattle and untreated cattle if both are kept on the same property
  • declare any HGP-treated cattle to be sold as treated on the associated national vendor declaration (NVD) and waybill.

HGP-treated stock must not be presented for sale as HGP-free stock and, with the exception of a European Union Cattle Accreditation Scheme (EUCAS) approved feedlot, must never be included in any EUCAS-accredited herd.

Checks are made at saleyards and abattoirs to ensure that cattle treated with HGPs are identified. Checks are also made to ensure that declared HGP-free stock are not implanted.