Identifying and reporting electric ants
The electric ant is a category 1 restricted pest under the Biosecurity Act 2014, and everyone has a legal obligation to inform the Queensland Government of possible electric ant colonies.
Electric ants live in soil and most materials that touch soil, including plant and inorganic materials. Moving these materials poses a serious risk of spreading electric ants.
Identifying electric ants
- are tiny—about 1.5mm long
- are golden brown in colour
- are usually slow moving
- are social and like to be with each other, often in heaps
- do not have nests—electric ants establish colonies anywhere and have been found under stones, in garden waste, leaf litter, soil, trees, around swimming pools and water courses, and may be in wall cavities, clothing, bedding, garden furniture or camping gear
- can be found in wet or dry conditions
- can survive in water and may sting you in your swimming pool.
Find more information and images of electric ants.
Reporting electric ants
Phone Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 if you suspect electric ants are on your property. Reporting suspect ants will help to eradicate this serious pest.