Reportable animal diseases
Some animal diseases are prescribed as category 1 restricted matter or prohibited matter under the Biosecurity Act 2014 and must be reported to Biosecurity Queensland.
If animal owners, vets, laboratory staff or anyone else suspects the presence of category 1 restricted matter or prohibited matter, they must notify Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 or the Emergency Disease Watch Hotline 1800 675 888.
View the list of category 1 restricted matter and prohibited matter.
Issues to report immediately
- A lot of ill or dead animals including birds or aquatic animals
- Rapid spread of disease through a herd or flock
- Animals that are lame, drooling or salivating excessively
- Animals that have ulcers, erosions or blisters around the feet, muzzle, udder or teats and/or in the mouth
- Unusual nervous signs
- Respiratory distress or persistent coughing in horses
- Deep, smelly, fly-struck wounds
- Any unusual or unfamiliar disease in animals, birds or aquatic animals
There are no government charges for investigations into suspected cases of reportable notifiable diseases, including negative diagnoses.
All reports are treated confidentially.