Laws and regulations for managing livestock and fisheries
Animal production laws and regulations
If you participate in producing animals, you need to know your responsibilities for their health and the impacts of chemicals, pests and diseases under the Biosecurity Act 2014 as well as regulations and industry codes. These protect the industry and the animals, and ensure food is produced safely.
Animal welfare and your responsibilities
Read about compulsory and voluntary codes for animal welfare in Queensland, and legislative requirements such as the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.
The Australian Government is working with states and territories to develop and implement nationally consistent standards and guidelines for farm animal welfare.
Your animal welfare duties extend to animal welfare in natural disasters and includes preparing animals for an impending adverse event.
Movement of livestock
Learn about the legal requirements for transport and movement of livestock including:
- the National Livestock Identification System
- cattle tick regulations
- livestock welfare in transport.
Commercial fisheries and aquaculture legislation and approvals
- Find out about the rules, regulations and fishing zones for commercial fishing and aquaculture in Queensland.
- Read about aquaculture industry policies, licences and regulatory framework before you start or expand your business.
- Learn about the Australian Government domestic compliance framework and regulations that protect our domestic fisheries as well as how to meet your maritime safety and compliance requirements for domestic commercial vessels.
- Last reviewed: 27 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 28 Feb 2020
I want to...
Complete our quick questionnaire to help us provide referrals tailored to your needs.
General enquiries 13 25 23