Biosecurity, agricultural chemicals and food safety laws
If you have an agricultural business or develop or invest in Queensland, you will need to understand:
- biosecurity requirements and threats
- regulations for moving livestock
- prohibited and restricted invasive plant species
- biosecurity registration.
You can also read the specific acts administered by Biosecurity Queensland.
Agricultural chemical use
Find out about using agricultural chemicals, including:
- laws for using, distributing and aerial spraying
- licences required if you are a commercial operator.
Food safety laws
When developing food products, you will need to understand and comply with Queensland and Australian food safety laws. You could also consider food testing, organic certification, or export and the associated requirements.
You can access specific resources on food safety such as requirements for a food business, licensing and about the auditing process. If you are starting a poultry egg farming business, you will need to know the food safety requirements for producing safe eggs.
- Read about laws for running a business—if you start or expand an agricultural business, you will need to comply with licensing regulations and legal obligations such as fair trade, copyright and consumer laws.
- Be aware of work health and safety laws that apply to you, your workers and visitors to your site or business.
- Last reviewed: 27 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 26 Feb 2020
I want to...
Complete our quick questionnaire to help us provide referrals tailored to your needs.
General enquiries 13 25 23