Registering your business name

Visit the Australian Government's Business Registration Service to use a single form to apply for key business and tax registrations, including an ABN, business name, goods and services tax (GST), pay as you go (PAYG) withholding and fringe benefits tax.

A registered business name is the trading name a business operates under. Your business structure determines how you register your business name.

Sole traders, partnerships and trusts

If you plan to operate as a sole trader, partnership or trust – and not as a company – you will need to register your business name with the Business Registration Service or Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). You need to register a business name only if you trade under a name that isn't your own (e.g. John Jones trading as Pacific Wreckers).


If you want to operate your business as a company, you will first need to register with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) to receive your Australian company number (ACN) and registered company name. If you want your company to trade under even a slightly different name from your registered company name (e.g. Midas Pty Ltd trading as Midas), you will need to register this name with ASIC.

To avoid legal action, it's important to make sure your preferred name isn't already used as an existing trademark or business name. Check ASIC's Organisations and business names register for a list of all Australian corporate and registered business names. Search the trademarks database for a list of trademarks registered with IP Australia.

Also consider...