Essential resources for business and intermediaries
If you're starting a business - or your business is about helping other businesses - the Queensland Government has a range of useful resources to help.
These resources will help you develop a business plan, conduct market research, search licensing and support information, and access training opportunities.
Business planning resources
Effective business planning is essential to business success.
- Business planning kit - contains a business plan template, financial spreadsheets and sample business plans
- Business start-up guide - overview of licences, regulations and market trends for starting a business
- Managing risk - guide to developing a risk management plan
- Business case studies - find out how our services have helped grow Queensland businesses.
Read more about preparing a business plan.
Market research resources
Market research can help your business's sales performance, increase your market share and identify new customers.
- Market research kit - step-by-step guide to performing online market research tailored to your business
- Benchmarking your business - measure your business performance against competitors
- Researching customers - guide to understanding and identifying customer needs
- Research data for business and industry - guide to organisations that provide research data
- Competitive advantage - guide to identifying what sets your business apart from your competitors.
Read more about market research.
Business licences and regulations
When starting or running a business it is important to understand your licensing and regulatory requirements:
- Visit the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) to find out which Queensland, local and Australian government licences, permits and registrations you need.
- Find out which codes of practice your business may need to comply with.
Learn more about getting the right licences and registrations (including registering a trademark and domain name).
Grants and support services
When starting or running a business it's important to be aware of the wide range of support services and programs available, including:
- ABLIS - search for grants and support services
- innovation grants and support guide - find out about innovation grants, mentoring, workshops, tools and support services.
Having good business skills is imperative to business success. Use the following resources to assess your business skills and identify any skill gaps in your business:
- business webinars - free web-based seminars
- skills for running a business - information to assess your business knowledge and skills.
Learn more about business mentoring.
Find out more about using social media to market your business.
- Last reviewed: 18 Jul 2017
- Last updated: 29 Jun 2016