Why some grant applications fail
Applications for grants and government support often far exceed what is actually available. This can create a competitive environment where only the very best applications attract funding.
There are many common reasons why applications are turned down. To give your application the best chance of success, check the following:
- Have you assessed your eligibility before applying?
- Is your area of research or your project relevant to the funding body?
- Have you understood the funding objectives?
- Have you followed the application guidelines and used the required forms?
- Have you fully considered how much work is involved in applying for a grant?
- Does your application make statements that are backed by supporting material?
- Is your explanation of your project focused and clear?
- Have you addressed the impact of your work on the wider community or industry?
- Have you underestimated the amount of competition for funding?
- Have you stressed the importance of funding to your project's success?
- Have you explained how your ideas will be translated into action?
- Has your business made the grant application a priority?
- Have you proven you need funding support?
Also remember that other sources of funding may be available.