Business Basics Grants Program
|Program key details|
|Eligible business size||Small businesses|
Stage 2: Closed
Each round of the Business Basics grants program has specific information to help you prepare and apply for a grant, and if successful, manage your grant.
The Business Basics grants program provides support to businesses to increase core skills and adopt best practice.
This support includes funded activities in 5 priorities:
- Training and coaching
- Website build or upgrades
- Professional business advice
- Strategic marketing services
- Business continuity and succession.
The program is administered by the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (DESBT).
Round 4 of the grant has closed.
You may have been eligible for a single up-front fixed grant payment of $5,000 (excluding GST).
The grant is for funding activities from the 5 priorities.
We will not fund activities with either:
- a total cost of less than $5,000 (excluding GST)
- payments made before the approval date (you must be approved before you pay for grant-funded activities).
Eligible and ineligible activities
Training and coaching
- Business development, marketing, human resources or business planning topics
- Training or coaching of up to 6 months in duration
Website build or upgrades
- Website build or upgrade (including website refresh)
- Adding e-commerce
- Developing new website content
Professional business advice
- Business plans
Strategic marketing services
- Strategic marketing plans including search engine optimisation advice
Business continuity and succession
- Business continuity and succession plans
- Cybersafety training and tools
We will not fund:
- activities bought using cryptocurrencies, barter, or services in-kind
- general business operating costs (e.g. bookkeeping or accounting, tax returns)
- real estate/property, hire, lease, or rental fees
- goods, services, or fees from related parties (include companies with common shareholdings or directors, employees or immediate family)
- franchise fees
- purchase of stock
- GST, registration, and fees
- maintenance of existing digital technologies
- computer hardware (e.g. computer servers, PCs, tablets/iPads, mobile phones)
- other hardware/devices/equipment (e.g. televisions, EFTPOS, card and chip readers)
- activities purchased through direct selling (e.g. by party plan or network marketing)
- delivery, credit card and transaction fees
- memberships and joining fees
- fleet vehicles
- website hosting
- implementation of marketing tactics such as advertising, direct marketing (e.g. telemarketing) or campaign delivery (e.g. Google AdWords, Facebook advertising or similar expenses).
To be eligible for this grant, your business must:
- not have been approved for funding under Round 1, 2 or 3 of the Business Basics grants program
- have fewer than 20 employees (by head count) at the time of applying for the grant
- have an active Australian Business Number (ABN) and be registered for GST
- have headquarters in Queensland
- have an expected turnover of $300,000 or less in the last financial year (2021–22)
- not have owners/directors that are insolvent or an undischarged bankrupt.
Your business must also maintain this eligibility for the duration of the grant funded activity.
Refer to the previous round section for information on grant rounds 1, 2 and 3.
The guidelines may vary between rounds and include:
- eligibility criteria
- activities to be applied for
- funding amounts
- assessment processes
- your legal requirements if you are awarded a grant agreement.
Stage 2: Full application closed at 11.59pm, Monday 23 January 2023.
Selected ROI applicants were invited to submit a full application.
This grant program is competitively assessed. Not all applications will be funded.
You will not be able to appeal if your registration has not been selected to move to Stage 2: Full application.
Detailed application process
There will be no appeal process for applications that have not been selected to move to Stage 2.
Stage 2 of the grant has closed.
Businesses identified from the ballot were invited to move to Stage 2 and complete a full application which was competitively assessed. Not all applications will be funded.
Step 1: Complete application (grant now closed)
Your application must have included the following documents:
- a signed and witnessed statutory declaration from the business's owner or director stating the business meets all grant eligibility criteria
- independent supplier quotes (no more than 2), dated after 10 November 2022, detailing description and costs of services, who will undertake the activity, and an outline of key activities. You will only be able to upload 1 quote per supplier.
Read the key documents and information:
- application guidelines
- including statutory declaration information
- terms and conditions
- frequently asked questions
- registration of interest (ROI) form sample
- finding suppliers.
Contact the Small Business Hotline on 1300 654 687 or email email@example.com for further information.
Step 2: Assessment
Following closure of the round, we then run a competitive assessment process.
Step 3: Notification of outcome
We will advise all applicants of the outcome of their grant application. Successful applicants will receive an approval letter outlining the funding agreement.
Step 4: Funding agreement and payment
Grant recipients enter into a funding agreement with us and receive a single upfront grant payment of $5,000 (excluding GST).
Step 5: Recipients complete activities
Recipients must complete their grant-funded activity within 6 months of receiving their approval letter.
You must keep all application evidence, supplier quotes, corresponding invoices and bank transactions for audit purposes.
Step 6: Acquittal survey
Recipients will be surveyed within 6 months after completion of the grant program.
Refer to the application guidelines for a comprehensive overview of each stage of the application process.
Previous rounds – key documents
You can also subscribe to the Small Business Connect newsletter to keep up to date with the latest information for Queensland small businesses.
Learn about avoiding unfair business practices.
For further information about the program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Small Business Hotline on 1300 654 687.
Check your eligibility
To be eligible for this grant, your business must meet the eligibility criteria and other conditions of the program.
- Last reviewed: 23 Jan 2023
- Last updated: 24 Jan 2023