QTopo - online topographic maps
Topographic maps are detailed representations of natural and man-made features that appear on the Earth's surface.
QTopo is an online mapping solution that provides users with access to topographic information coverage across all of Queensland. This can be viewed online, downloaded, shared or printed at no cost to the public on an on-demand basis.
With QTopo, you can view Queensland's topography online, easily download pre-generated maps or create custom high-resolution topographic maps.
The Queensland Government no longer sells printed copies of topographic maps. The maps you download from QTopo contain the same information as traditional printed maps, and you can print these on a local printer or at a print shop. The quality of the printed image will depend on the printer type, settings and paper.
You can purchase larger scale printed maps from private map retailers.
You can get online access to scans of historical topographic maps dating from 1862 to 2012 via the Open Data portal.
How to download maps from QTopo
Custom topographic map
- Zoom in to the area you would like mapped.
- Select the Custom print tool from the menu.
- Select the page size required (A1, A3 or A4).
- Select the output format (PNG or PDF).
- Click on Advanced settings to select the preferred map scale.
- Click Print to generate the map.
- The map is generated at the map scale selected; by default this is set to 1:10,000.
- The map is created at the map scale specified by the user and is based on the centroid of the current map view.
- Multiple map links can be created. There is no longer the need to supply an email address to receive your custom map.
Standard topographic map
- Find the name and number of the map sheet you want to download. You can do this by zooming in to the area of interest to view the map sheet details or by searching for a location.
- When the map sheet boundary layers are visible, you can click on the map view and a pop-up will appear. Clicking on a Topo map or Image topo map link will open the pre-generated map for that point in a new tab.
- Searching for a map sheet by name or number will automatically open the pop-up and highlight the extent.
Digital topographic data
Digital mapping data can be downloaded through QSpatial or supplied through our FTP website.
Read more about digital topographic data.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions or need help.
- Last reviewed: 28 May 2021
- Last updated: 28 May 2021