QTopo - online topographic maps
Topographic maps are detailed representations of natural and man-made features that appear on the Earth's surface.
With QTopo, you can view Queensland's topography online and download maps as PDFs or PNG files.
The Queensland Government no longer sells printed copies of topographic maps. The maps you download from QTopo contain the same information as traditional printed maps, and you can print these on a local printer or at a print shop. The quality of the printed image will depend on the printer type, settings and paper.
You can purchase larger scale printed maps from Geoscience Australia and there are also other private map retailers.
You can get online access to scans of historical topographic maps dating from 1862 to 2012 via the Open Data portal.
How to download maps from QTopo
Custom topographic map
- Zoom in to the area you would like mapped.
- From the top left of the window, click on Click here to… and select Generate a printable map.
- Follow the instructions to select the map scale, paper size and other map features.
- Once you generate the map, you will be emailed a link to a file that you can save to your computer.
Standard topographic map
- Find the name and number of the map sheet you want to download. You can do this by zooming in to the area of interest to view the map sheet details or by searching for a location. To search, go to the top left of the window, click on Click here to… and select one of the search options.
- From the top left of the window, click on Click here to… and select Download a standard map sheet.
- Select the map scale, and enter the map sheet name or number. The map will open in a new browser window. You can save the file to your computer.
Digital topographic data
Digital mapping data can be downloaded through QSpatial or supplied through our FTP web site.
Read more about digital topographic data.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions or need help.
- Last reviewed: 22 Aug 2016
- Last updated: 03 Oct 2018