Who uses Twitter?
Use of Twitter in Australia is in decline for both social and business use, and usage lags a long way behind Facebook.
Customers who use Twitter
There are more than 4 million Twitter accounts in Australia. The 2018 Sensis social media report found that 19% of Australian social media users accessed Twitter, compared with 91% who used Facebook - the most dominant social networking service.
In Australia, 1 in 3 users tweet daily (or almost daily) and just over half tweet more than once a week.
Australian research suggests Twitter users follow an average of 171 accounts. About 14% of people who use Twitter don't tweet. They use Twitter to follow other people so they can keep up to date. In Australia, 11% of users tweet more than 5 times a day compared to 27% in 2016. Twitter continues to have a high drop-off rate - 31% in 2018.
Worldwide, 80% of users access Twitter via their mobile phone so they are constantly 'reachable'.
Research conducted in 2018 by the Pew Research Centre reports that almost 45% of all Twitter users in the United States of America are aged 18-24. In Australia, the Sensis social media report found usage is slightly higher for males than females, and declines with age. Twitter users tend to have at least some post-school education, live in urban areas and earn above average incomes.
Businesses that use Twitter
Twitter use by business is increasing fast. At the moment business users are largely based in the hospitality, entertainment, retail and technology sectors. Large businesses with big marketing and customer service departments devote significant resources to Twitter, but smaller businesses can use it well too.
Businesses that can benefit from using Twitter are likely to:
- target customers that fit the Twitter user demographics above
- have dynamic products or services so they often have news to share - such as new menu items, new products, new information, regular special offers
- develop relationships with their customers over time rather than just one-off transactions
- have a 'personality' as well as a brand
- have staff who are enthusiastic about social media and keen to use Twitter well.
Australian businesses using Twitter range from large corporations like Telstra to small businesses like local cafes.
- Find out how to create a digital strategy for your business.