Getting started with Twitter
Once you decide to use Twitter as part of your business marketing and communication, it's easy to get started.
The Twitter home page invites you to sign up. The process is:
- Provide your name, email address and a password.
- Nominate a user name for your account. This is up to 15 characters and should be your business name or similar. Twitter will tell you whether the name you want is available.
- Fill out your profile, including your website URL for more information. Write your 160 character biography carefully — this will be a key source of information about your business.
- Upload a photo that represents your business. Some people use a product label, others a logo.
- Customise the background. You can select a background image that reinforces the image you want to present, rather than the generic Twitter ones.
Joining the conversation
You can then start finding people to follow, recruiting followers, seeing what others are tweeting, and tweeting yourself. Some experts suggest the way to start is to watch and listen until you get the hang of the Twitter style and what other businesses are doing.
Twitter publishes information and tips for business. There are also a number of online guides and demonstration videos to help businesses use Twitter well. If you search the internet for a Twitter-related topic you want to know more about, chances are someone will have posted information that meets your needs.
- Find out how to create a digital strategy for your business.