Who uses Facebook?
Internationally, the number of Facebook users has grown rapidly since the site opened to the general public in late 2006. Statistics reported in late 2016 by Facebook put the total number of Facebook users worldwide at around 1.13 billion daily active users, making it the most-visited site on the internet.
Customers who use Facebook
Everybody who uses Facebook is a potential customer for some kind of business.
Demographic information published by Facebook in November 2016 offered the following snapshot of Facebook users worldwide:
- 44% female, 56% male
- 34% 18-24 years, 32% 25-34 years, 18% 35-44 years, 16% 45-64 years
- 68% college- or university-educated.
Facebook allows you to reach customers and potential customers of all kinds, around the world.
Businesses who use Facebook
Businesses in many countries are increasingly establishing Facebook pages. In Australia, a 2016 Sensis survey of 1900 businesses found that social media were being used by:
- 48% of small businesses
- 54% of medium-sized businesses
- 79% of large businesses.
Facebook pages were by far the most common social media being used by businesses of all sizes.
The Australian survey also found that the industries most likely to use social media were:
- cultural, recreational and personal services businesses
- retail trade.
But wholesale, building and construction, and communications, property and business services businesses have also established Facebook pages.
Business pages are one of the fastest growing parts of Facebook.
- Watch the introduction to Facebook webisode series to find out more about using Facebook pages for your business.
- Find out how to create a digital strategy for your business.
- Find out how Sarah Timmerman used social media to give Beginning Boutique a real personality that customers can relate to and engage with.