Who uses Facebook?
Internationally, the number of Facebook users has grown rapidly since the site opened to the general public in late 2006. Statistics reported by Facebook in January 2018 put the total number of worldwide monthly users at 2.01 billion, making it the most-widely used site on the internet.
Customers who use Facebook
Everybody who uses Facebook is a potential customer for some kind of business.
Demographic information published in January 2018 offered the following snapshot of Facebook users worldwide:
- 53% female, 47% male
- 87% are aged 18-29 years old
- 68% are college- or university-educated.
Facebook allows you to reach customers and potential customers of all kinds, around the world.
Businesses who use Facebook
Businesses in many countries are increasingly establishing Facebook pages. In Australia, a 2017 Sensis social media survey of 1100 businesses found that social media were being used by:
- 47% of small businesses
- 49% of medium-sized businesses
- 60% of large businesses.
For all Australian businesses with a social media presence, Facebook is by far the most popular.
The Australian survey also found that the industries (small to medium sized businesses) most likely to use social media were:
- hospitality (accommodation, cafés and restaurants)
- cultural, recreational and personal services
- retail trade
- communication, property and business services.
Other industries also have established social media pages, including:
- wholesale trade
- health and community services
- building and construction
- finance and insurance
- transport and storage.
Business pages are one of the fastest growing parts of Facebook.
I want to...
- Digital Business Workshop - Emerald 26/06/2018
- Digital Business Workshop for Manufacturing - Gympie 26/06/2018