Review and parliamentary inquiries
Note: From 1 July 2020 the functions and powers performed or exercised by the Department of Natural Resources and Mines referenced below are now performed or exercised by Resources Safety and Health Queensland.
Senate Select Committee on Health
Queensland Health partnered with the Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM)—now the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy—to make a submission to the Parliament of Australia's Senate Select Committee on Health inquiry into coal workers' pneumoconiosis.
On 28 April 2016, the Senate Select Committee on Health released its report with 20 recommendations. A number of these recommendations, particularly those relating to nominated medical advisers, are being addressed through implementation of the Monash review recommendations. Other recommendations are addressed by the government's action on dust management.
- Joint Queensland Health and DNRM submission (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Fifth interim report of the Select Committee (Black Lung)
An independent review of the Coal Mine Workers' Health Scheme was undertaken by the Centre of Occupational and Environmental Health at Monash University, in collaboration with the University of Illinois at Chicago. The review focused on the respiratory component of the health scheme. The outcomes of the Monash review were published on 13 July 2016.
Coal Workers' Pneumoconiosis Select Committee
On 15 September 2016, the Queensland Parliament appointed a 6-person select committee to inquire into CWP.
- Interim report - Report no. 1, 55th Parliament Coal Workers' Pneumoconiosis Select Committee, March 2017 (PDF, 832KB)
- Final report - Report no. 2, 55th Parliament Coal Workers’ Pneumoconiosis Select Committee, May 2017 (PDF, 8.7MB)
- DNRM submission to the committee (PDF, 3.1MB)
- Queensland Government response to the final report, September 2017 (PDF, 1.2MB).