The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Resources safety and health regulator options
The Coal Workers' Pneumoconiosis Select Committee tabled a number of reports in Queensland Parliament relating to the re-emergence of coal workers' pneumoconiosis (CWP) in Queensland and other occupational respirable dust issues.
In its second report (PDF, 8.7MB), the committee made 68 recommendations.
An independently-led Project Management Office (PMO) was set up to investigate the recommendations relating to structural changes and funding of the regulator.
The PMO has now released its final report - Queensland resources safety and health - regulator and funding models (PDF, 794KB). Its recommendations include the establishment of a standalone independent regulator.
Response to the report
In response to the report, the Queensland Government intends to bring forward legislation to establish an independent statutory entity with responsibility for the regulation of safety and health in the resources sector in Queensland.
A draft of the proposed Bill making changes to the regulatory environment will be made available to stakeholders for consultation and comment .
Background to the report
Between March and May 2018, the PMO held 3 information forums and released a number of discussion papers and focus papers for public consultation.
To obtain a copy of the presentations, or the video of the first forum, email RSH.Info@dnrme.qld.gov.au. You can download the discussion and focus papers below.
- Discussion paper 1 - Options for resources safety and health regulator models in Queensland (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Resources safety and health regulator models - Cost Modelling (PDF, 1.0MB)
- Focus paper 1 - Overview of governance arrangement for public authorities (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Focus paper 2 - Proposed location of the regulator in Mackay (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Focus paper 3 - Simtars fee for service review (PDF, 1.3MB)
- Discussion paper 2 - Funding the resources safety and health regulator in Queensland (PDF, 898KB)
- Mine safety and health fee funding model options (PDF, 673KB)
- Focus paper 4 - An examination of the proposal to fund the regulator from mining royalties (PDF, 985KB)
- Focus paper 5 - Mobile health units (PDF, 1.0MB)