Temporary relief package and recovery measures for the exploration sector
In response to the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19), the Queensland Government is providing a range of measures to support eligible exploration companies.
The assistance measures include:
- a rent waiver for holders of an exploration permit or authority to prospect whose rent is payable within 1 April to 30 September 2020
- the removal of application fee for special variations of authority to prospect work programs
- capping of all other fees and charges under the resource Acts at 2019–20 rates
- recognition that COVID-19 is an exceptional event that may require explorers to vary work programs and/or relinquishment conditions.
We have also fast-tracked a number of industry development initiatives, including:
- continuing to release land for exploration under the 2020 Queensland Exploration Program, with the release of both a coal and a petroleum tender in May
- bringing forward $2.8 million in Collaborative Exploration Initiative funding to the 2020–21 financial year.
An additional $10 million over 4 years will extend and expand the existing Collaborative Exploration Initiative to help explorers discover new economy minerals and support future jobs in Queensland's resources sector.
Further details about the assistance measures are available below.
You can also email us at Resources.Info@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
Exploration rent waiver
The waiver applies to all exploration permit and authority to prospect rents that are payable within 1 April to 30 September 2020.
Exploration companies who are deemed to be eligible to receive rent waivers will be contacted directly by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.
Variations and amendments to work programs
The COVID-19 pandemic and related restrictions are recognised as an exceptional event that may allow exploration companies to amend or vary work programs and/or relinquishment conditions.
You can apply using a streamlined application form COVID-19 Variation to permit conditions of an exploration permit (PDF, 100KB). There is no fee.
More information on eligibility and examples of changes are available in these policies:
- MIN/2015/1509 Special amendment of an authority to prospect work program (PDF, 747KB)
- MIN/2015/1246 Application to vary conditions of an exploration permit (PDF, 410KB)
For more information about rent waivers and variations to permit conditions, contact your Mines Assessment Hub.