COVID-19 alert: Read about eased restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 1am, Friday 22 January.
Temporary relief package and recovery measures for the exploration sector
In response to the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19), the Queensland Government has provided a range of measures to support eligible exploration companies.
The assistance measures include:
- a rent waiver* for holders of an exploration permit or authority to prospect whose rent is payable within 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021
- the removal of application fee for special variations of authority to prospect work programs
- capping of all other fees and charges under the resource Acts at 2019–20 rates
- recognition that COVID-19 is an exceptional event that may require explorers to vary work programs and/or relinquishment conditions.
*Exploration companies who are deemed to be eligible to receive rent waivers will be contacted directly by the Department of Resources.
We have also fast-tracked a number of industry development initiatives, including:
- continuing to release land for exploration under the 2020 Queensland Exploration Program, with the release of both coal and petroleum tenders
- bringing additional funding for the Collaborative Exploration Initiative forward to the 2020–21 financial year, helping explorers discover new economy minerals that are high in demand globally in the renewables and tech sectors
Further funding will be invested over the next few years to expand the Collaborative Exploration Initiative, supporting future jobs in Queensland's resources sector.
You can also email us at Resources.Info@dnrme.qld.gov.au.
Variations and amendments to work programs
The COVID-19 pandemic and related restrictions are recognised as an exceptional event that may allow exploration companies to amend or vary work programs and/or relinquishment conditions.
The waiver of the special amendment application fee for an ATP has been extended to 31 March 2021.
You can apply using a streamlined application form COVID-19 Variation to permit conditions of an exploration permit (PDF, 100KB). There is no fee.
More information on eligibility and examples of changes are available in these policies:
- MIN/2015/1509 Special amendment of an authority to prospect work program (PDF, 747KB)
- MIN/2015/1246 Application to vary conditions of an exploration permit (PDF, 410KB)
For more information about rent waivers and variations to permit conditions, contact your Mines Assessment Hub.