Queensland's cruise tourism market
Cruise tourism is defined as a trip for pleasure on a cruise ship or cruise liner. The voyage and the ship's services and facilities are part of the experience of a cruise, as well as the stopover destinations along the way.
Cruise tourism is an important market segment for Queensland. Key cruise destinations in Queensland include Brisbane, the Whitsundays, Townsville and Cairns.
Businesses in port communities have a great opportunity to benefit from cruise transit calls, as visitors are encouraged to buy local products and services, and experience what the destination has to offer.
The flow-on benefits created by the cruise shipping industry are many and include:
- developing new land-based tourism experiences
- increasing new and repeat visitations
- enhancing indirect economic and social benefits to local communities
- raising the profile of Queensland destinations worldwide.
- Find out about the Australian Cruise Association, the peak cruise industry association dedicated to making the Australia-Pacific region a world-class base and destination for cruise vessels.
- Last reviewed: 27 Nov 2020
- Last updated: 27 Nov 2020