Coronavirus (COVID-19) support for commercial fishers
We are working with commercial fishers impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19).
Queensland Government commercial fishing industry assistance
The Queensland Government is funding a $3.66 million commercial fishing industry assistance package, including:
- waiving tropical rock lobster and coral trout quota fees for the first 6 months of 2020, and fishing boat licence fee waivers for these and other fisheries affected by coronavirus, such as mud crab
- expanding the tropical rock lobster fishery area for 3 months. This will reduce operating costs for quota holders and allow fishers to sell product into other markets while maintaining crew and jobs in the short term
- a local seafood promotion campaign to encourage Queenslanders to support our local fishers by buying local
- rural financial counselling services will be provided to commercial fishers, fishery supply chain and tourism businesses impacted by coronavirus.
Support services available to the industry
Small business support
A range of business counselling, resilience workshops and support tools are available for small businesses affected by coronavirus.
Contact the Department of Employment, Small Business and Training on 1300 654 687 for more information.
Rural Financial Counselling Service
The Rural Financial Counselling Service provides free financial advice to producers who are suffering financial hardship and have no alternative sources of impartial financial information. The service is funded by grants from government to local organisations that employ financial counsellors.
Contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service in the following areas:
If you are experiencing personal crisis, or are concerned for a loved one, you can call the following services for assistance and counselling:
- Australian Red Cross on 1300 554 419
- 24/7 Lifeline crisis support line on 13 11 14
- Beyondblue on 1300 224 636.
The Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors can also provide advice on additional services and non-government organisations available to help affected individuals, families and communities. This includes a network of Neighbourhood Centres and Community Support Services across Queensland.
Contact: 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) business assistance finder
If your business has been impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak, you may be eligible for financial assistance or other types of relief from the Queensland and Australian governments, plus Queensland local councils. Use the Coronavirus (COVID-19) business assistance finder to discover what support is available.
Contact DAF on 13 25 23 for more information on the assistance available.
- Last reviewed: 20 Feb 2020
- Last updated: 22 May 2020