Permits for chemical use in aquaculture

You will need a permit from the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) if you plan to use:

  • an unregistered chemical
  • a registered chemical 'off-label' (i.e. in a different way to the instructions on the label).

The APVMA also issues permits for research and emergency situations.

Permit requirements

Persons using a product under a permit must ensure they have access to, and have read, the details and conditions of the permit.

A number of permits authorising use of products in the aquaculture industry may require you to keep records of treatments applied and report this back to the prescribing veterinary surgeon or the product supplier. The APVMA and/or the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (DAF) Queensland use this information to evaluate product use within the industry.

Permits for unregistered chemicals

The APVMA recognises that the cost to register chemicals for use in smaller industries, such as aquaculture, outweighs the economic returns to chemical manufacturers. Because you may find it difficult to source suitable registered chemicals for use in the aquaculture industry, you can apply for a minor use permit to use an unregistered chemical.

Permits for off-label use of chemicals

If you plan to use a registered chemical differently to the label instructions (i.e. 'off-label'), you will need to apply to the APVMA for a permit.

Permits for research

You can apply to the APVMA for a permit to use chemical products in research trials.

In some circumstances the APVMA's small-scale research permit (PDF, 73KB) may apply. Contact the APVMA to find out if you need this type of permit.

Emergency chemical use

You can apply for an emergency use permit to use chemicals to manage an infestation of an exotic pest or disease. There must be an urgent need and no alternative treatment available.

Also consider...


General enquiries 13 25 23