Using animals in science
Find out about using animals for scientific purposes, the role of the animal ethics committee (AEC) and activities requiring approval from the AEC.
- Activities regarded as scientific purposes for the use of animals
- Registering as a user of animals for scientific purposes
- Public access to the register of persons registered to use animals for scientific purposes
- Surrender, suspension or cancellation of registration
- The 3Rs: replacement, reduction and refinement
- Alternative to animal use for scientific purposes
- Establishing or accessing an animal ethics committee
- Membership of animal ethics committees
- Roles and responsibilities of animal ethics committees
- Terms of reference and operating procedures for animal ethics committees
- Training for members of animal ethics committees
- Writing a proposal for an animal ethics committee
- Using dead animals for scientific purposes
- Animal observation activities
- Microchipping, pit tagging or tracking injured wildlife using collars for release back into the wild
- Routine husbandry procedures
- Agricultural extension work practices and training of veterinary science, veterinary nursing and animal technology students
- Displaying and demonstrating animals
- Animal use statistics report
- Reporting and recordkeeping for investigators and teachers
- Reporting and recordkeeping for animal facilities
- Recordkeeping for animal ethics committees and institutions
- Reporting requirements for animal ethics committees and institutions
- Reporting unexpected adverse events in the use of animals
- Last reviewed: 24 Jun 2016
- Last updated: 24 Jun 2016
I want to...
Learn more about drought relief programs available to your business.
Check you're registered as a biosecurity entity and update your details.