Fire ant biosecurity zones
Fire ant biosecurity zones are in place in areas of Queensland to restrict the movement of materials that could spread fire ants.
Under the Biosecurity Act 2014, individuals and organisations whose activities involve the movement or storage of fire ant carriers will have a general biosecurity obligation (GBO) to take all reasonable steps to ensure they do not spread fire ants.
The Biosecurity Regulation 2016 prescribes procedures that you must follow when moving or storing a fire ant carrier. Find out more about the procedures for managing fire ant carriers. Specific provisions are not provided for all situations and there is flexibility to find better ways of managing risks.
There are 3 fire ant biosecurity zones in Queensland. Refer to the fire ant biosecurity zone maps to see the boundaries of each zone.
The table below outlines certain conditions you must meet before moving fire ant carriers. In particular, there are different levels of controls for moving soil.
|Fire ant carrier||Fire ant biosecurity zone 1||Fire ant biosecurity zone 2||Fire ant biosecurity zone 3|
|Soil (includes fill, clay, scrapings, and any material removed from the ground at a site where earthworks are being carried out)||To move soil from a property within biosecurity zone 1, you must have a biosecurity instrument permit, unless:
||To move soil from a property within biosecurity zone 2, you must have a biosecurity instrument permit, unless:
||To move soil from a property within biosecurity zone 3, you must have a biosecurity instrument permit, unless:
Baled hay or straw
|To move these fire ant carriers from a property within any of the 3 fire ant biosecurity zones, you must either:
If you are unable to fulfil the above conditions, then you must request a biosecurity instrument permit from an inspector
|Other fire ant carriers (including mining or quarrying products or by-products, compost)||To move these fire ant carriers from a property within any of the 3 fire ant biosecurity zones, you must either:
*For soil movement within the fire ant biosecurity zones, you must meet the general biosecurity obligation (GBO).
Complete the biosecurity instrument permit request to obtain a permit from a Biosecurity Queensland inspector or call 13 25 23.
Fire ant biosecurity zone maps and information
- The fire ant biosecurity zones map shows where restrictions apply to the movement of fire ant carriers within Queensland.
- The suburbs register is a list of suburbs found within the fire ant biosecurity zones.
- Map of areas of South East Queensland restricted for interstate market access shows where restrictions apply in Queensland for movement of fire ant carriers interstate.
Moving fire ant carriers interstate
Other states and territories place conditions on the movement of fire ant carriers from Queensland, and these conditions may differ from Queensland's movement restrictions. If you are moving fire ant carriers interstate, contact the entry state to confirm the entry conditions.
- Find out about waste facilities for fire ant carriers.
- Complete the biosecurity instrument permit request.
- Learn more about fire ants in Queensland.
- Learn more about fire ant carriers and how to manage the risk of spreading fire ants.
- Report suspected fire ants or phone Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23.