Pig hygiene and disease prevention
Pig health, hygiene and disease prevention are essential for successful pig farming.
Outbreaks of disease can cause significant loss to individual farmers and have widespread consequences for the industry. Maintaining high levels of pig health and hygiene results in increased productivity, higher returns and greater market access.
Principal threats to pig health include:
- unsuitable air temperature or quality
- worms and other parasites.
Develop and maintain piggery practices to ensure your pigs remain in peak condition:
- appropriate piggery design
- cleaning and general hygiene
- healthy feeding
- piggery biosecurity
- testing feed for contamination by weed seeds, ergot and other moulds.