Agribusiness development and investment support
Rural businesses and investments in sustainable agriculture, fisheries and forestry add value to the economy and communities.
Use the links below to government and industry organisations that deliver information to help you benefit from industry opportunities and respond to challenges. We have also provided information to help you understand domestic markets, and regional development and infrastructure.
Access information on:
- agriculture within the Queensland Department of Agriculture and Fisheries website
- agriculture on this Business Queensland website
- agriculture, farming and food within the Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website
- agricultural economic forecasts and trends (AgTrends) in Queensland.
You can also find information on specific industries:
- animal industries including animal welfare, health and disease
- plant industries including horticulture, bio-based industrial products, field crops and pastures
- biofutures and bio-based products
- sugar milling.
Fisheries and aquaculture
- Find key information to help you run your commercial fishing or aquaculture operations in Queensland, such as industry profiles, zoning and licences.
- Learn about the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries' strategies and plans for commercial and sustainable operations and fisheries habitats.
- Gain an Australia-wide perspective of these industries including fishing regulations, domestic fisheries and seafood trade.
- Understand the role of the Australian Fisheries Management Authority as the agency responsible for the efficient management and sustainable use of fish resources on behalf of the Australian community.
Access information about Queensland's forestry industry including:
- private native forestry
- pests and diseases
- research and development.
Sustainable farming and global agriculture
Find out about sustainable farming practices relevant to agricultural industries in general including:
- land management and access and use
- farming in reef catchments and reef regulations
- reef credit scheme
- carbon farming including carbon credits
- international sustainable agriculture
- global agriculture
- increasing the share of Australian food in the global marketplace
- our overview on developing sustainable agriculture.
Supply chain and market information
- Access help to develop supply chain innovation for your horticultural business.
- Find out about biofutures opportunities such as industrial biotechnology and bioproducts, for example, biofuels, and bioplastics.
- Use the FOODmap to compare the food distribution channels from producer to consumer.
- Read about domestic marketing, and building and sustaining demand.
- Learn how to market cattle for maximum returns.
- Attend the Beef Australia 2021 Expo—one of the world's significant beef cattle events held once every 3 years in Queensland.
- Research using Dairy Australia's overview on key farm statistics on cows and farms around Australia.
- Read about marketing campaigns and strategies that aim to increase the demand for Australian wool.
- Learn about the domestic asparagus market.
Prevent and manage biosecurity threats, and plan to protect your property or investment venture.
Regional development and infrastructure
If you plan to develop, expand or invest in an agricultural business, you will benefit from understanding the regional context or environment.
- Regional Development Australia is a national network of committees that you can access for information and advice on strategies and development in your region of interest.
- Advance Queensland facilitates industry collaborations to turn your ideas into commercial products.
- The Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning provides information about regions and development infrastructure and is a valuable resource on regional priorities, economic development and infrastructure.
- For more specific information and resources, we also provide a page on planning and development.
- Find out about business priorities for the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
- Access independent agricultural data, research, analysis and advice and statistical information to inform your business decisions from the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences.
- Read our overview and links for food manufacturing and processing.
- Read our overview on trade, investment and export to learn how to expand your business or access niche overseas markets.
- Last reviewed: 27 Nov 2019
- Last updated: 19 Jun 2020
I want to...
Complete our quick questionnaire to help us provide referrals tailored to your needs.
General enquiries 13 25 23