Market diversification and resilience grants
We are providing assistance for businesses impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak through the Market Diversification and Resilience Grants (MDRG) program.
The MDRG program will benefit Queensland agriculture, food and fishing exporters and their critical supply chain partners, as well as industry organisations working with exporters to build resilience by diversifying into new markets (international or interstate).
The program has 2 components:
- equipment purchases
Equipment purchase grants of up to $7,500 (excluding GST) are available to support new equipment purchases up to a maximum cost of $10,000 (excluding GST).
Applicants must contribute 25% of the total cost of the new equipment. The MDRG program will provide the remaining 75% of total costs. For example, if the total equipment cost is $10,000 (excluding GST), the applicant will pay $2,500 and the MDRG program will pay $7,500 (excluding GST).
Examples of eligible equipment purchases include, but are not limited to:
- vacuum packaging machines
- storage equipment
- filleting machines.
Download the equipment purchase grant application form.
Applications for equipment purchase grants will be assessed on an ongoing basis from Thursday 12 March.
Successful applicants will be notified as soon as possible.
Project grants of up to $50,000 (excluding GST) will be available to support project activities including, but not limited to:
- market evaluation studies
- market visits
- staff training
- new equipment such as refrigeration
- boat modifications necessary to meet market requirements.
Applicants must co-invest 50% of the total cost of their project activities or equipment purchases and should provide evidence of their contributions both in-kind (e.g. reasonable salary costs for key personnel, freight costs) and cash. Cash contributions must be at least 25% of total project costs.
Download the project grant application form.
Applications for project grants open Thursday 12 March and close Monday 20 April.
Successful applicants will be notified by Friday 1 May.
To be eligible for funding, your organisation must, at the time of submitting your application, be one of the following:
- a Queensland-based agriculture, food or fishing exporter
- a Queensland-based critical supply chain partner (e.g. fishing business, producer, grower, grower collective, wholesaler) to a Queensland-based agriculture, food or fishing exporter
- a not-for profit industry organisation working with Queensland-based agriculture, food and fishing exporters.
Your organisation must also be:
- a small to medium sized business employing less than 200 full time equivalent employees
- registered and operating in Queensland, have an ABN and be registered for GST
- trading viably for at least the past 2 years.
Note: Applicants can only apply for 1 grant under the MDRG program.
Applying for the grants
Submit your completed application, including all supporting documents, to:
Post: MDRG Program Team
Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
GPO Box 46
BRISBANE QLD 4001
Fax: (07) 3239 3454
Contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries on 13 25 23 for more information.
- Read more about the Queensland Government's Immediate Industry Recovery Package supporting businesses and industry impacted by coronavirus.
- Last reviewed: 12 Mar 2020
- Last updated: 12 Mar 2020