COVID-19 alert: Read about changed restrictions for businesses in Greater Brisbane from 6pm, Monday 11 January.
Cyclone shelter design and maintenance
To be identified as a cyclone shelter in Queensland, buildings must meet the design guidelines for Queensland public cyclone shelters 2006 (PDF, 182KB).
Public cyclone shelters built according to these guidelines have to be maintained according to the Queensland public cyclone shelters maintenance guidelines (PDF, 699KB).
In 2011 the Queensland Government, with a donation from the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, constructed 10 public cyclone shelters. These shelters meet the above-mentioned guidelines. The following documents informed the decision about where the shelters were built:
- location and facility selection criteria (PDF, 586KB)
- mitigating the adverse impacts of cyclones—evacuation and shelter (PDF, 4.1MB).
- Find opportunities to supply building construction and maintenance services to Queensland Government.
- Contact your local council for more information about your nearest cyclone shelter.
- Find a list of cyclone shelter locations.
- Last reviewed: 6 Aug 2020
- Last updated: 13 Nov 2019