The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Consider your business structure
Choosing the best legal structure for your business is important as each structure has different rules regarding issues such as tax, liability, succession, ownership and disposal of the business.
Think about the future
The structure you choose for your business now may not be the best structure for you in the future. Ask your solicitor if your structure can be altered as your business grows and your circumstances change.
Common business structures
The 4 most common business structures are:
- sole trader
Learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of each business structure.
Business structure checklist
- View the Australian Taxation Office's (ATO) tax basics for small business video series.
- Check with your business adviser about the best structure for your business, and any related legal, financial and tax issues.
- Once you decide on a business structure, your solicitor will need to prepare any required legal documentation.
- Register with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) if you want to operate as a company.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020