The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.
Consider your start-up
Have you considered all legal and regulatory issues of starting a business?
- Have you considered what business structure you will use (e.g. sole trader, partnership, company)? You should seek professional advice before you decide.
- Find out what licences, permits and registrations you need to operate your business by visiting the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS).
- Check with your local council about town planning, zoning and usage rules that may affect your business.
- Find out how transfer (stamp) duty might apply when acquiring business assets.
- Do you have an Australian Business Number (ABN) from the Australian Taxation Office?
- Check with your local council about water restrictions and other environmental issues which may impact upon your business.
Do you have the necessary resources to get started?
- Make a list of the essential items you need to start. You can buy non-essential items later.
- Have you considered the type and cost of insurance? Talk to an insurance broker - if you are not insured, you could lose everything.
- Consider what staff you will need if you grow quickly.
- What sort of access to finance do you have? Prepare contingency plans now before problems arise.
- Consider opening a separate business bank account to keep personal and business income separate.
- Suppliers can often be a great source of information on what your competitors are buying. Learn more about finding the right suppliers.
Do you have the best location you can afford?
- Make a list of features that are important for your location, such as main road, space, low cost, and parking facilities.
- Consider a number of potential business locations and assess the advantages and disadvantages of each. Use our business premises checklist to help compare and assess different locations.
- Learn more about finding the right location for your business.
- Read about leasing premises. Before signing a lease, make sure you know your rights. Contact your solicitor for assistance.
- View our 7 steps to business success e-learning series and find out how to improve your chances of business success.
- Use our market research kit to find key economic, demographic and statistical information about your industry.
- Use our free tools and resources to help develop your business plan.
- Compare your performance against other similar-sized businesses in the same industry by benchmarking your business.
- Learn more about establishing your business, including business rights and responsibilities, tax requirements and business insurance.
I want to...
- Payroll tax: Introduction to payroll tax in Queensland 28/10/2020
- Mentoring for Growth day - Logan 29/10/2020