Legal obligations when selling
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Business information, advice and assistance
- Read the Office of Fair Trading's information, advice and assistance for business owners, operators and licensees relating to issues that may arise during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- View the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) latest information on the rights and obligations of businesses in response to events caused by COVID-19.
Your business's future depends on its sales performance. But good sales performance means more than just knowing how to meet your sales targets. You also need to understand your legal obligations as a seller.
Take time to research your business's legal selling obligations. To protect your business, you need to know about your customers' rights and your legal obligations.
Australian Consumer Law
Every Australian state and territory has a fair trading regulator that administers and enforces Australian Consumer Law (ACL).
In Queensland, the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) helps businesses to understand their obligations under ACL and other industry-specific legislation.
Use the small business self-assessment checklist to help you understand and meet your obligations under the ACL.
OFT provides useful information on your legal obligations when selling goods and services, including:
- door-to-door sales
- online sales
- unsolicited supply of goods or services
- proof of transaction and itemised bills
- handling of uncollected goods.
Do not call list
Depending on how you source your contacts and customers, you may need to check that they are not listed on the Do Not Call Register. Create an account to check your phone/fax contact lists.
- Find out more about the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 and what it means for you.
- Read the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC's) sales practices guide for businesses and legal practitioners for information on consumer law.
- Learn how industry associations can help with your legal obligations as a seller in your industry.
- Read the ACCC's business snapshot of fair sales practices.
- Learn more about Australian Government legislation on the Federal Register of Legislation.
- Be alerted to any changes to sales laws and scams targeting businesses through the Office of Fair Trading's social media channels.
- Find out more about meeting your legal obligations.