Love your small business campaign
As a part of Queensland Small Business Month 2022, we're celebrating local small businesses with a 'Love your small business' campaign throughout the month of May 2022.
Love your small business aims to help Queensland businesses promote their products and services and encourages Queenslanders to support small businesses in their community by shopping locally. This campaign supports our 'Go Local, Grow Local' initiative to help small businesses grow, create local jobs and help their community.
It has been a challenging 2021 and many Queensland small businesses were recently hit hard by flooding.
Now is the time to really shop locally when buying products and services, to welcome back small businesses in disaster-affected regions.
Let's celebrate our businesses this May and help our economy get back on track by supporting our small businesses to get back on their feet.
How your business can get involved
Get your small business involved by:
- using Queensland Small Business Month hashtags in your business's social media posts
- following Business Queensland on Facebook to keep up to date with small business news in Queensland
- asking your followers to take a picture when they visit or buy from you and then @tag you and use the hashtags #QSBM2022, #loveyoursmallbusiness, #shoplocal and #buylocal when they post on social media
- asking your followers to take a selfie using the QSBM social media filter when they visit or buy from you, and then @tag you and add hashtags #QSBM2022 #loveyoursmallbusiness #shoplocal #buylocal when they post to social media. The QSBM social media filter can be found on Business Queensland Facebook.
- sharing our social media graphic to promote the Love your small business campaign during May 2022
- displaying the Love your small business campaign poster.
How you can show support for your local small businesses
Here are 9 easy things you can do to show your support for small business.
- Buy from independent businesses instead of big chains – shop local and shop online:
- visit your local restaurant, get your meal delivered or order a takeaway feast
- take a morning break – walk to your local coffee shop for your takeaway coffee and visit the bakery for a fresh loaf of bread to make lunch
- keep active – join a fitness, Pilates, yoga or spin class with your local gym or studio
- explore your neighbourhood and find businesses you never knew were there – a print shop, a providore, a gallery, a café, a jeweller, an accountant or beauty salon – a hidden gem that just may become a new favourite
- get back to your favourite hobby or start a new one – puzzles, painting, drawing, knitting, jigsaws, gardening, reading, music, sewing, crafting, cooking – the list is endless and independent businesses stock the supplies.
- Buy gift cards and vouchers for use later on or as gifts for friends and family.
- Don't cancel when you can reschedule – instead of cancelling your plans and asking for a refund, consider rescheduling them to a later date.
- Buy fresh produce from the farmgate or local farmers markets – a country drive could find you buying anything from fruit, vegetables or flowers to preserves, eggs or honey from the farm gate. Or just visit your local farmers markets where you can buy your weekly supply of fresh fruit, vegies, meat, eggs, cheese and bread.
- Reach out to your favourite businesses – volunteering your skills in web design, bookkeeping, photography or finance could be just what they need help with.
- Share your support for small business online and take a selfie using the QSBM social media filter when you visit or shop locally. Don't forget to @tag the small business and add hashtags #QSBM2022 #loveyoursmallbusiness #shoplocal #buylocal when you post on social media (and remember to make your post public so we can find it). If you want to use the QSBM social media filter you can find it on Business Queensland Facebook.
- Encourage your friends to buy from small businesses and let them know you're supporting small business – take a picture of the business you visited, @tag them and add the hashtags #QSBM2022 #loveyoursmallbusiness #shoplocal #buylocal when you post on social media (and remember to make your post public so we can find it).
- Pay the good will forward – share your good experiences with small independent businesses on social media using the hashtags #QSBM2022 #loveyoursmallbusiness #shoplocal #buylocal. Don't forget to leave your favourite businesses a good review online – this is a small but important gesture. Let people know all the great things about it so that people are encouraged to visit.
- Give your favourite small business a plug on social media, @tag them and use the hashtags #QSBM2022 #loveyoursmallbusiness #shoplocal #buylocal. Right now, people are spending more time on their phones and computers and that means more eyes on social media.
Get connected and stay up to date
- Last reviewed: 12 Apr 2022
- Last updated: 14 Apr 2022