QSIC helps facilitate the governance, education, awareness, coordination and open access of Queensland’s spatial information by providing a community of forums.
The QSIC Spatial Advisory Group:
- reviews, maintains and publishes Queensland's spatial information standards and frameworks
- provides expert advice on specific spatial issues and facilitates new QSIC initiatives
- encourages the use of QSIC standards and frameworks in the capture, storage and maintenance of spatial data.
The Spatial Advisory Group also promotes access to Queensland's foundation spatial data through the Queensland Spatial Catalogue - QSpatial - a Queensland Government service that provides public access to spatial and associated data.
QSIC is building spatial capabilities with education providers and students in order to recognise spatial science as an integral part of education. Learn about QSIC's spatial education project.
Foundation spatial data
QSIC develops and maintains the Foundation Spatial Data Framework for Queensland. Foundation spatial data contain the basic spatial layers required by most users which are generally not derived from other spatial layers. The Queensland framework aligns closely with the national ANZLIC National Foundation Spatial Data Framework.
To provide direction and consistency, QSIC has developed a series of spatial information standards and frameworks for use by the spatial information industry.
The Queensland Government collects, generates and uses data to deliver real benefits to the community and the economy. To ensure that all Queenslanders can benefit from and make use of government data, we have released as much of it as possible, free for use. It provides the core of spatial information released under Queensland's open data policy.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy coordinates spatial imagery acquisition projects for government and industry use. These projects are funded by a subscription plan which is managed by the department for the acquisition and distribution of imagery.
QSIC provides support to the Spatial Imagery Working Group, which operates as a forum for spatial imagery users to discuss the use of spatial imagery in Queensland and provide input into spatial imagery policies, acquisition program and management strategies.
Email email@example.com for more information on spatial imagery acquisition.
QSIC partners and collaborates with relevant industry organisations including:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS)
- ANZLIC - the Spatial Information Council
- Australasian Spatial Information Education and Research Association (ASIERA)
- Cooperative Research Centre for Spatial Information (CRC-SI)
- Geography Teachers' Association of Queensland (GTAQ)
- Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping (ICSM)
- Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ)
- Open Geospatial Consortium Australasia (OGC-A)
- PSMA Australia Limited
- Qld Regional NRM Groups Collective
- Spatial Information Business Association (SIBA)
- Surveying & Spatial Sciences Institute (SSSI).
- Last reviewed: 10 Oct 2018
- Last updated: 10 Oct 2018