What are the requirements for material to be copyright?
For copyright to subsist:
- there must be an expression of ideas in a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work, or in subject matter other than works, such as in an audio-visual performance
- the work must be original
- the work must be recorded in a 'material form', for example
- written down on paper or something else
- recorded by keystrokes saved on a computer
- recorded on film
- recorded on tape
- recorded as software code saved on a computer
- recorded digitally onto a device
- there must be an author or artist.
- Last reviewed: 23 Jul 2019
- Last updated: 13 Jun 2016