Success in any conversation is likely to be achieved through both parties listening to and understanding each other. Practice the following skills in any business situation where you communicate with others.
Key communication skills
Useful communication skills for building positive interpersonal relationships include:
- active listening
- understanding non-verbal signals
- maintaining eye contact
- being mindful of people's individual space
- using positive body language
- dealing with different points of view.
Personal awareness skills that help with communication include:
- understanding the benefits of a positive attitude
- awareness of how others perceive you
- presentation — dressing appropriately for different occasions.
It also helps to consider the circumstances surrounding your communications, such as the situational and cultural context.